Wednesday 29 January 2014

Nothing Left to Lose - a new poem




Nothing Left to Lose
 

My country slides towards a fascist State
Abandoning freedoms hard won in countless bloody wars
Slapping the faces of those who sacrificed their lives
To ensure a better future for those they left behind.
My country run by people who know nothing of real life
And who know nothing of sacrifice and sacrificed nothing themselves
Leaving a devastated population starving, impoverished
And with nothing left to lose.

I slide towards Oblivion, let the eternal darkness come
Losing gains I thought I’d made in personal little victories
Slapped in the face by those I thought respected me
Whilst trying to build myself a better life.
My progress ruined by people who think nothing of my life
In my despair, my enemies delight
I’ve nowhere left to go, no alternative route to choose
So I just wait for death to come because I’ve nothing left to lose.


© Myles Cook, 29/01/2014


This is a first draft and probably isn't very good as a result but does get some feelings about the current state of my country and recent events in my own life out of my head so it has served its purpose.

Feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment