Friday 13 December 2013

My letter to Jackie Doyle-Price regarding the Lobbying Bill



Below is the full text of a letter sent to Jackie Doyle-Price regarding the Lobbying Bill (more commonly known as the Gagging Bill) through the 38 Degrees website.  The letter was pre-generated but I added the two items before the ‘Yours sincerely’ line.

I don’t expect a response and she’ll probably complain that I’m being ‘hostile’ in sending so many letters to her again but all I’m doing is holding her to account and engaging in the democratic process.

Dear Jackie Doyle-Price MP,

I was pleased when the government agreed to delay the Lobbying Bill. And even more pleased when I heard that an independent Commission has used the pause to consult with a large number of charities and campaigning organisations.

They’ve just produced a report recommending changes to the Bill: http://civilsocietycommission.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Civil-Society-Commission-Rep

Can you read it and let me know what you think? I am keen to know which way you would vote if and when the Bill returns to the House of Commons.

I believe that it's important for the democratic process that charities, other organisations and individuals can debate issues of public interest unimpeded by legislation that restricts their Freedom of Speech so I would appreciate it if you would read the report regardless of your feelings towards me as a person and let me know what you think.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Myles Cook

If I get a response I’ll post it right here as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment