Friday 13 December 2013

My letter to David Cameron's office



Below is the full text of the 1000 character complaint I sent to Prime Minister David Cameron’s office.

I wish to complain about Jackie Doyle-Price MP. She has acted dismissively to strongly worded and assertive but not hostile e-mails I sent her.

She sent me an Easy Read leaflet when I had been writing well-written, intelligent letters to her. Doing so, knowing that I suffer with depression, has shown her to be discriminatory and stigmatizing towards people with mental health issues.

All I am trying to do is engage in the democratic process by engaging with my MP and holding her to account (my duty as a citizen of the UK).

Her actions and attitude reflect badly on politicians as a group whilst you are trying to win back the public's trust.

This may be a small matter but I have nowhere else to turn now.

I would like to see that she is publically disciplined for her dismissive, discriminatory and stigmatizing attitude and that she gives me a public apology. The apology should not be made in such a way that it casts me in a bad light as I have done nothing wrong.

Here is the full text of the original letter to David Cameron I wanted to send before I had to cut it down.

Dear Prime Minister,

Attached is a Word document that contains the correspondence between myself and the Office of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards regarding a complaint I wish to make against my local MP, Jackie Doyle-Price.

The Complaints Manager, Jon Prawer, suggested that, as there is no official body to deal with complaints against Members of Parliament, I should pass my concerns about Ms Doyle-Price and my comments for the need for an independent body to look into complaints about Members of Parliament.

To reiterate, my problem with Ms Doyle-Price is that she has acted dismissively to e-mails sent to her by myself which although were strongly worded and assertive cannot have been considered “hostile” (a direct quote from her final letter to me). 

Ms Doyle-Price does not acknowledge receipt of any of the e-mails I have sent her and she acted in a discriminatory and stigmatizing way by sending me a leaflet in an Easy Read format when I had been writing quite well-written, intelligent letters.  Ms Doyle-Price knows that I suffer with a mental health issue and, by sending me an Easy Read leaflet, has shown herself to be discriminatory, stigmatizing towards people with mental health issues and woefully in need of some mental health awareness training.

Ms Doyle-Price has also sent abusive e-mails to another of her constituents although unfortunately the person in question cannot access the e-mail for some reason.

All I am trying to do is engage in the democratic process by engaging with my Parliamentary representative (who should represent me and my views without fear or favour in Parliament, even when they conflict with her own) and hold her to account for her actions and voting record, all of which are my duty as a citizen of the United Kingdom and form part of the social contract between myself and the State.

Ms Doyle-Price’s actions and attitude reflect badly on politicians as a group, a group which is supposed to be trying to win back the trust of the electorate of the United Kingdom.

I do not wish to burden a busy man such as yourself with such a seemingly small matter but it is neither small to me nor a small matter for those of us who wish to do our civic duty.

I have already outlined the outcome I would like regarding this with both Ms Doyle-Price herself and with Conservative Party Chairman, Mr Shapps, which is that Ms Doyle-Price be publically disciplined for her dismissive attitude towards her constituents and that she give a public apology to myself.  The apology should not be made in such a way that she casts me in a bad light as I have done nothing wrong to deserve such treatment from her.

I hope that you can help me resolve this situation.

Yours sincerely,

Myles Cook


The Word document had the full texts of the correspondence I have already posted on this blog with the Standards Commissioner's office.
 
I don’t expect a response but if I get one, it’ll get posted right here on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment