Friday 20 September 2013

Letter to retailers for accord on building safety in Bangladesh

Below is the full text of the pre-generated letter I sent to about eight different retailers about building safety in Bangladesh.



I am sure you agree that the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory in Bangladesh was a terrible catastrophe, and one which could have been easily avoided. There has never been a clearer sign for all retailers to dramatically lift their efforts to make sure that those making their clothes are doing so in safety and dignity.

I was pleased to see that many major retailers including Tesco, Primark, John Lewis, Next, Marks and Spencer and H+M have signed the Fire and Building Safety Accord developed by IndustriALL, the global union for garment workers, and UNI-global, representing retail workers, to make the Bangladesh garment industry a safer and more decent place to work.

I would like to ask why your company have not yet been able to sign the Accord, to cover the workers at factories you use in Bangladesh. The majority of your competitors who work in Bangladesh have done so already.

As a consumer, I don't want the clothes I wear to be made at the cost of safety and respect for the people who make them. I urge your company to act quickly and sign the Accord today.

Sincerely,

Myles Cook

I shall post any and all replies on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment