Tuesday 3 September 2013

Jackie Doyle-Price and the MPCA

An organisation called Rethink came up with a brilliant idea of how to make sure our representatives in Parliament understood how unfit for purpose the Work Capability Assessment (WCA) is for people with mental health problems in determining whether they are fit for work.  The idea was a simple one - put every MP through a mock WCA.  Dubbed the MPCA, people were encouraged to e-mail their MP with an invitation to take an MPCA.  Below is the e-mail exchange between myself and my MP, Jackie Doyle-Price's assistant.


Dear Ms Doyle-Price,

Your MP Capability Assessment

As your constituent it is important to me that you understand what it is like to undergo a Work Capability Assessment (WCA), which thousands of your constituents go through every year.

A recent Judicial Review came to the conclusion that people with mental health problems are substantially disadvantaged by the way they are being assessed by the Department of Work & Pensions through the WCA. I would like you to understand what this experience is like for many of the people you represent.

I have arranged an interview for you to undertake an MP Capability Assessment (MPCA) with Rethink Mental Illness. This assessment mimics the WCA process, asking you to produce evidence of your fitness to be a Member of Parliament. Like the WCA, it is essential that you make yourself available as to not do so may affect the decision about your ability to be an MP.

Please attend Room N, Portcullis House, SW1A 2LW on Wednesday 11 September between the hours of 3:00 – 4:30 p.m. If you cannot keep this appointment then you must make contact as soon as possible to make alternative arrangements.

Things the MP Capability Assessor will need to see on the day of your interview:

· Proof of your identity

· Any relevant information or evidence demonstrating your ability to work as an MP



An MP Capability Assessor will conduct the interview and the results of the assessment will be made available to you and your constituents shortly afterwards.

To confirm that you will attend please email campaigns@rethink.org

Yours sincerely,

Myles Cook




Dear Mr Cook,


Thank you for your email to Jackie Doyle-Price MP. 


I’m afraid she will be at Public Accounts Committee all afternoon on Wednesday 11th September.  You will be pleased to hear, however, that she has, along with other MPs, already had the opportunity to undergo such an assessment.

Yours sincerely,


Emily Clifton



Dear Ms Clifton,

Please could you supply me with the details of when Ms Doyle-Price had her MPCA and the outcome as I have no knowledge of her attending any such assessment.

I will then use the information you supply me to check with Rethink as to the veracity of your claim.

Regards,

Myles Cook




Dear Mr Cook,



When I spoke to her about it originally, Jackie said that Chris Grayling, the Minister, had given the opportunity for all MPs to attend a mock Work Capability Assessment (WCA).  I don’t think it was via Rethink though, so I assume it was not an ‘MPCA’.



In any case, I have now seen that she has written to you on the issue.



Yours sincerely,



Emily Clifton




Dear Ms Clifton,

Whatever arrangements Mr Grayling made with MPs is beside the point, as Ms Doyle-Price's constituent, I have arranged for her to attend an MPCA through Rethink.  As is her duty as my representative, Ms Doyle-Price should attend the appointment or set an alternative date as was mentioned in the letter she received. 
 
Please advise me of the new date for Ms Doyle-Price's MPCA so that I may be fully informed of her compliance/non-compliance.
 
Regards,
 
Myles Cook

I have not yet received a reply from Ms Clifton but I will post any I get.  I did, however, receive a letter from JD-P herself in the post mere minutes ago that I have not yet read.  I will post a scanned copy of her reply as soon as I can get to a scanner.



Feel free to contact Ms Clifton with your comments on this e-mail exchange at cliftone@parliament.uk or 0207 219 7171.

Or feel free to contact JD-P directly at jackie.doyleprice.mp@parliament.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment